Friday, October 18, 2013

Wow, This Film Achieved 100% on the Tomatometer!

The Americanization of Emily (1964) is one of my enduring favorite films.  It is a love story, a war story, and a comedy.  The movie never seems to be prominently featured in any film venues, so I have long concluded that it must have some special appeal for me that others fail to perceive.  I decided to check a resource that I have found to be respectable, responsible and reliable, the Rotten Tomatoes website.  I was gratified to find that I am not alone in my adulation of this movie. The fact that it is filmed in black and white is a large part of the allure.  Monochrome is the perfect medium for this film set in England during World War II.  Julie Andrews is the English Emily, and James Garner is the U.S. Navy officer responsible for the "Americanization."  Both Andrews and Garner have designated this movie as one of their favorite performances.  It is a beautiful and entertaining story, and 100% on the Tomatometer is as good as it gets!
John Greanias  Copyright 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment